In How to Excel at Managing and Supervising People, participants will learn...
- To speak … write … communicate—clearly and tactfully
- To make the skills of today’s best supervisors second nature
- How to deal quickly and professionally with every performance problem
- To give criticism in a way that creates positive behavior—not resentment
- And much more!
Here’s the bottom line: To succeed in your expanding role, you’ve got to get in tune with the times … and keep one step ahead of the changes. That means continually updating your skills and seeking out all the freshest ideas, latest strategies and cutting-edge techniques you can get your hands on. That’s where this intensive, hands-on workshop comes in. In just two days, you’ll get the most up-to-the-minute information and exciting discoveries available on how to manage change, motivate, discipline, delegate, inspire, problem solve … all the critical skills you need to succeed as a supervisor.
Click on a title to view details
Add leadership to your repertoire of skills +
- Your leadership style: What’s good about it? What needs work?
- Firsthand advice on becoming a role model everyone looks up to
- How to give direction (not orders) so others jump into action
- Moving from the details to the big picture—a leadership must
- Serious about getting more done? It’s simple—delegate!
- Boss vs. buddy: Which are you to employees?
- What great leaders do to get people to follow
- Use the power of assertiveness to open lines of communication and get things done
Wear all your supervisory hats successfully +
- Avoid the 5 things that can derail even experienced supervisors
- Telecommuting, job sharing, flextime: What the books WON’T tell you about managing today’s employees
- How to communicate the benefits of technology—rather than dwell on the problems
- Close the generation gap! How to get Boomers, Gen-Xers—everyone—to work together
- Are you a leader still trapped in a boss’s mentality?
- Becoming a diversity champion—here’s where it all begins
Positive ways to inspire, guide and lead +
- Steps to conducting performance evaluations that improve behavior and morale
- Know which buttons to push to get employees to give their ALL
- Why supervisors often fail when giving criticism
- What’s personality got to do with performance? Plenty!
- The hidden reasons behind why employees do what they do—performance problems solved!
- Ways bosses actually discourage employees from working harder
- Discover what employees need and expect from you
Manage unwanted behaviors and attitudes +
- Dealing appropriately with drugs, alcohol and other sticky personnel issues
- 6 ways to get problem employees to change
- Stop butting heads with employees who challenge you, know everything or dominate
- Transforming “can’t do” attitudes to “can do”
- Lighting a fire under the employee who’s nice—but lazy
- The rules of managing people are changing—what you need to know and do now
- Zap negativity … before it spreads out of control
Take command of the creative process +
- Good-bye status quo: How to make new ideas part of every employee’s job description
- Stuck on a stubborn problem? Innovative ways to find a quick solution
- Does your work environment encourage—or squelch—innovation?
- How to fit “dream space” into your employees’ workday
- How to train your brain to think in new and profitable ways
- Beyond the suggestion box—idea-generating tactics that work like magic
Click on a title to view details
Communicate like a leader +
- Business writing tips you can use now to make sure your memos and e-mail messages get your point across
- Become aware of credibility-robbing speech habits—and eliminate them
- Deliver bad news, say “No,” turn down requests—with tact
- Develop radar that instantly detects when people misunderstand you
- Listening “how-to’s” that make it easy to connect with others
- Communication traits employees look for and admire in a leader
- Ever get the feeling your feedback goes in one ear and out the other? Here’s the solution
Recruit, hire and develop great employees +
- Money’s the secret to getting good employees to stay—WRONG!
- Interviewing strategies for avoiding bad hires that cost time and money
- Inside the exit interview: The real reasons why employees move on
- The pros and cons of making counteroffers when employees resign
- Recruiting and hiring the best—an expertise supervisors can and must develop
Coach employees through change and transition+
- Positive ways to present change to employees—and relieve anxiety
- Your best options when employees don’t see change the way you do
- Poorly managed organizational change: Do you recognize the tell-tale clues?
- Kid-glove techniques for helping employees see opportunity—not threat—in change
- Put yourself in their shoes: 7 hard facts about how employees really feel about change
Essential supervisory tools to master now +
- How to define and organize priorities and accomplish more than ever
- What to do to detect—and stop—employees who are fooling around on the Web and with e-mail
- Self-management habits the most successful supervisors practice daily
- Maximizing the Internet … a supervisor’s best friend
- Managing deadlines, time, projects and priorities: Why make it harder than it has to be?
Plan your professional future +
- Smart tips for attracting the favorable attention from higher-ups that you deserve
- What drives today’s most successful supervisors? The answers revealed
- Questions to ask yourself to put your job … your career … your future into focus
- Got the “blahs”? How to get—and stay—motivated on the road to supervisory success